What is anti-aging medicine?
Anti-aging is a broad field that can include both medical and cosmetic approaches to retaining the benefits of youth as you grow older.
Aging is an inevitable part of living, and though the average lifespan of Americans has been increasing in recent history, older citizens don’t always enjoy good health in their later years. Like most people, you probably want to stay healthy and youthful for as long as possible, even if you can’t stay young forever.
There’s exciting scientific research that’s looking at how understanding cell function, genetics, environment, and other factors influences how healthy people are as they age, which is already improving medical knowledge of how to retain youthfulness despite growing older. This research holds much promise for the future, but there’s already plenty you can do to remain fit and well as you age.
What are the best methods?
Doctors have known for many years that unhealthy lifestyle choices are a significant factor in causing ill health and death, but the extent to which your diet and lifestyle influence how well you age is becoming ever more apparent.
Put simply, the healthier your lifestyle, the more likely your body will be able to stay active and youthful as you get older. That means eating a balanced, nutritious diet that includes:
- Plenty of fruit and vegetables
- Whole grains and sources of fiber
- Nuts and seeds
- High-quality protein
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- Optimal levels of vitamins and minerals
- Plenty of water
- A wide variety of different foods
You should also minimize your consumption of:
- Saturated and trans fats
- Processed foods
- Refined grain products
- Red meat
Exercising regularly, including aerobic exercise that gets your heart pumping, weight and resistance training to strengthen muscles, and stretching exercises to keep your body supple, are also essential.
Other causes of premature aging include:
- Taking drugs
- Too much exposure to the sun or tanning beds
- Not getting enough sleep
- Chronic stress
- Not managing other health conditions effectively
Learning to deal with stress, taking sufficient rest and time for yourself, and cutting out bad habits can make a significant difference as to how well you age.
How can my doctor help with anti-aging?
The team at Restore Osteo of Colorado plays a vital role in making the most anti-aging benefits related to changing your lifestyle. For example, they can:
- Design healthy eating plans tailored to your needs
- Help you get the right amount of exercise
- Monitor your ongoing health
- Treat any underlying health condition
- Help you deal with stress and find ways to relax
- Help you get a good night’s sleep
- Support you with quitting smoking
- Help you reduce your alcohol consumption
- Provide information and advice about emotional or mental health problems
They can also keep you up to date with the newest scientific advances in anti-aging and advise you on how to approach cosmetic treatments that claim to reverse the signs of aging.
To find out more about how Restore Osteo of Colorado can help with anti-aging, call the office today or book an appointment online.